What is SEO?
SEO or search engine optimization is the process of optimizing your website so that it ranks higher on search engines. The method of optimizing a website can be divided down into three SEO segments; Technical SEO, On-page SEO, and Off-page SEO. To rank higher on search engines such as Google, all three parts of SEO need to be followed.
Over the years, search engine optimization has changed a lot, and with Google updating its algorithm regularly, SEO experts need to keep a close eye on everything that happens in the digital marketing arena.
What SEO Mistakes Are Still Being Made In
As a lot goes into optimizing a website to rank on search engines, there is a lot of room for mistakes as well. Many SEO executives rely on black-hat techniques to get their website to rank quickly. However, this technique backfires on most occasions, getting the website penalized, and blocked in some extreme cases. In this blog, we go through the top six SEO mistakes still made in 2020, and how you can avoid them.
Wrong Keywords Are Optimized
So, you hire a content writer, create a lot of quality content; however, you are still not getting enough traffic on your website. It could be happening due to several issues, but the most probable cause could be that you are optimizing the wrong keywords.
Every digital marketing and SEO expert knows the importance of long-tail keywords, and while these are a good tactic, there are some problems you can face.
- You are targeting keywords that have a lot of traffic, but also have a lot of competition. While you can go after any keyword, you want you should try and target the keywords that have high traffic and low competition. Look for the keywords that are in the goldilocks area and target those.
- Before you do anything, you need to research which keywords are already performing in your industry. You can easily do this by any keyword analysis tool; there are many free and paid options that you can use.
- When selecting keywords, think about how a person would search for the product/services rather than focusing on search engines.
Keyword Stuffing Is Still Happening In SEO
Keyword stuffing was excellent in 2005; you could add your target keyword how many times you want and rank high on search engines. However, with search engines becoming smarter with each algorithm change this soon stopped. Today, if your website has keyword stuffing that does not only not improve its rank, it can even decrease it.
The good thing is that most businesses that have an SEO expert managing their website’s search engine optimization do not have keyword stuffing. However, there are still a lot of companies that use do this and end up getting penalized by Google.
The best way to tackle this is that while creating content, do not focus on the keywords, write quality content for your readers, and you will notice that the keyword will automatically fall in place. Yes, you might have to add them to the title and H1, H2 tags manually.
Missing Quality Links
One of the essential things in off-page SEO is getting quality backlinks. Startups struggle as they tend to focus on the quantity of the links, rather than focusing on the quality of the backlinks they get. Yes, you do need to get a lot of backlinks, but they would be of no use if they are not quality backlinks. Low-quality links will negatively impact your website. While creating backlinks, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Check the sites domain authority; you only want to create backlinks from pages that have a higher domain authority than you. The higher the domain authority, the better the quality of the link. It is tougher to get backlinks from websites that have high domain authority.
- Check the spam score for the website, even though a high spam score does not always mean that the site is bad. It does mean that there are other websites with the same kind of content and activities that are spammy. So, avoiding sites that have a high spam score is crucial.
- If your website only has no-follow links, your website will not do well in rankings. And if you only have do-follow links, search engines like Google read this as an indicator that you might be using black-hat techniques to achieve them. It would be best if you had a mixture of both do-follow and no-follow links.
Not Focusing Local Search
Businesses tend to forget to focus on local search engine rankings. They optimize global keywords rather than focusing on local keywords that have less competition and would have a higher conversion rate. More than 50% of all searches done on a mobile device are for local businesses, and if you have a local business, you should target those searches.
For example, if you are a company that sells perfumes in Los Angeles. Rather than optimizing the keyword “the best perfume,” you could optimize the keyword “the best perfume in Los Angeles.” This small change in your targeting strategy can get you to rank higher and get traffic that converts.
Apart from using local keywords, you also need to get customer reviews and make use of Google my business page to get seen. Most people read an online review before buying a product or using a service.
Forgetting About Analytics
I see so many businesses, especially startups, that forget to make use of analytics. Remember, SEO is not only about getting traffic; it is about converting that traffic into sales. It would help if you tracked what is working for you and what is not, you can easily do this with the help of Google analytics.
There are hundreds of tutorials available to learn about Google analytics; once you know how to read and use these analytic tools, you will know exactly what is converting and what is not. Researching, creating, and understanding analytics reports is a huge part of search engine optimization. To learn more about how to use Google analytics, you can click here.
Not Regularly Auditing Your Website
Ok, so you followed all the SEO guidelines and set up a website. Are you done? No, it is not, you need to do regular checks on your website to see that everything is working correctly.
You need to look for broken links and repair them; you need to check the technical aspects of your website to see that your website is still performing on its high standards. You need to check the rank of your keywords; you need to see if there is a change in a Google algorithm that affects your site. You need to check and fix any site errors that may have occurred.
Getting to the top of the search engine is not the job, getting there and then staying there is the job. You need to perform regular checks to make sure that you remain on top.
There are many digital marketing and SEO experts that you can hire to take care of your SEO needs; they will most probably be able to avoid such mistakes. But in case you are going to look after your SEO efforts on your own, what I suggest is that you read up a little of how SEO works, what are black-hat and white-hat techniques, so that at least you can avoid these six most comment SEO errors.